Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Making of a Single Mum

In 2007, I left my ex-husband and the country where I had been living and working for five years, to start a new life in Switzerland.


I journeyed for 36 hours in a rented car from Warsaw to Geneva. I loaded the car with our meager belongings (what was left of it... what I could salvage) : my books, some clothes, a couple of toys, plates and glasses, towels. Early that morning, I shoved my kid in the back seat, and when he started to cry, I tried to calm him down by saying:
 -"I know how you feel, but this is the best for us." Out of arguments, my last try: "Trust me!"

How could he? He had been on this earth for five years and a bit, and during his entire life, he had heard how my patriarchal husband put me down, he had seen me physically hurt by someone who was supposed to love me until death would do us part. But more than anything, he had seen my trying to compromise and amend, apologizing, trying to find solace in this horrid home life, crying myself to sleep. Why would he trust me?

This was my last chance to have a life. A life where I would be free of fear, free of worry, and able to live my dreams, whatever they were.

My stomach ached when we would be having breakfast and he'd ask:
 - "Can I have some powder chocolate on my toast, quick before he wakes up?" and his eyes would be worryingly checking the corridor "just in case" for this once, the patriarch would wake up before 5PM.

Why would he trust me?

We used to sneak out of the apartment, early morning on Sundays. He, on his bike, and me, with a smile on my face and my camera in my hand. We would go to the woods, count acorns for his week-end Math homework, measure tree trunks and compare twigs with our arms, and more than anything else, breathe.
After one hour, I would start worrying in case "he" would wake up and not find us at home. I'd start feeling edgy and we'd hurry back, without a word, quietly hoping that he would still be asleep.
One day, he woke up as we reached home and forbid us to ever sneak out again without having first asked him if he would like to join us. He accused me of "stealing his time away from my son". Oh, yes, he had this miraculous talent to twist reality around!
The following Sunday, I woke him up, he said we should wait for him. He got up around 5PM and when I said it was too late to go, he replied:
 - "Well, then, next time, don't make such a fuss about your Sunday expedition!"
That was the end of our free time in the woods. 

Why would my son trust me?

When I pulled out in front of our new house in Geneva, it was 5:30PM and we were exhausted. Me from driving, my son from crying.
That night, we sat in the dark, on the carpet of the empty living room, and nibbled on a pack of left-over crisps, feeling miserable. We had nothing, but I had my son, we had each other. I had the certitude this was the start of our new life, but somehow, I had diddly squat to show for it. My son looked very sad and it broke my heart.

The next day at 8AM, I started my new job, and my son started his new school.
To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment